Friday, June 26, 2009

A SAFE LANDING







THEY ARE HERE!!!! They are beautiful, kind, wonderful and so much more. But, I suppose most everyone reading this is not surprised to read that :) I can not express my happiness right now...as there are not adequate words. Seeing them, their faces, in person for the first time...I will never forget that moment! The site of this child and his family...that I have spent so many months praying for and worrying about...very emotional to say the least.

Dr. Cohan and his lovely wife Isabelle came to the airport to meet them with me! What a great surprise that was! Such a kind man and equally kind wife. We were blessed to have an amazing woman named Tina that came to translate for us (at no cost!) and she stayed for the duration. What proof of the kindness and compassion that exists in the world. Thanks again to the Language Training Center of Indianapolis for providing this assistance and for caring about this family and their story.

It was a long journey for them today. They left Sarajevo at 7:00 am Indy time, arrived in Indy at 10:00 pm, and finally were in their room at the RMH at 1:20 am (the next morning). The only problem in the whole day was that their luggage didn't make it here with them. Seems it never made the plane change in Munich, Germany. This was discovered when they landed in Chicago, where they were told to make a claim once they landed in Indy. But, no worries. They certainly took it all in stride and put their trust in us. Isn't that amazing? That takes an incredibale amount of strength and courage! I don't know if I could do it as well as they seem to. I am so proud to know them...and so proud of them...and honored to be a part of this journey of theirs!

At the airport, we all sat down with a coffeee and spent time talking and getting to "know" each other, filled a claim for the baggage and then we made a trip to the nearest 24-hr Meijer store to get a few clothes, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and a little orange juice to get them through the overnight and morning. We made it to the Ronald McDonald House by about 12:45 am and we made sure everything was in place there...and that they had everything they needed. When we left, Anes and Adis were sleeping and Aldina was hopefully working her way towards that too. I can't imagine how tired they must have been, yet they kept going as long as they needed to. Anes was awesome tonight. To think he had to spend all day on planes and was now in a new land with people he didn't know "oohing" and "aahing" over him in a foreign language. He humored as as best he could, but he was SOOO tired. After a diaper change at the airport, he went right to sleep and continued to sleep through all the rest of the activities. I just kept staring at him and smiling. He is simply beautiful...and I feel so blessed to know him and his equally beautiful parents.

It is now 2:30am and I am at my own home. I am in awe of what Adis and Aldina are doing for Anes. What strength, faith and trust they have. I am proud to know them and I am so proud of what they have done to get here. May all their hopes and dreams for Anes be realized...I am praying so. And I know so many others are praying that as well! Please join us in that prayer!

Tomorrow will we go out for groceries and anything else they may need. And we will spend more time together...and help them prepare for the days to come. They want to meet Avery and my family...and I am so excited to share my family with them.

For now, I must sleep. More to come tomorrow.

In contined hope and prayer,
Holly

2 comments:

  1. Holly!!! You are Incredible!! You have adopted this family like your own and taking care of them and making them feel like they are honored guests in the USA. God Bless You and your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Cohen too!!!! How many brain surgeons would come out to the airport to meet their patient?!?!?! Dr. C, You are my Hero too!!!!

    ReplyDelete