Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Recovery Off to a GREAT Start

I went to the hospital to see Anes late this morning. WOW! He is doing exceptionally well.

While I was there, he opened his left eye (his right is swollen shut) and moved all his extremities. He was already extubated and breathing on his own with only a nasal canula. He made several small little sounds and vocalizations. I was just blown away at the sight and sound of him. He is voiding great, but as usual, still waiting for the BM to show up. He had been given clearance to start feeding by mouth again late this afternoon. Oh, and the sweetest thing...he made his "kiss smack" back to Aldina when she made it and asked him to give her kisses. PRECIOUS and IMPRESSIVE. Less than 24 hours after surgery!

Dr. Patel stopped by and said that so far everything looks good. They had gone through the VEEG up to 10:30 pm last night and there had been no sign of a seizure getting through to the other side or body. He was very encouraged by everything that he was seeing Anes do...which gave more weight to our own encouragement. By the time I left to go to work, he was resting comfortably in Aldina's arms...for the first time since she and Adis had turned him over to the team for surgery. It was a moving sight to see him in her arms again. I know that moment...what it feels like...and what calm and relief it brings. Aldina told me could hold him like that all day. And I just bet she did.

Now, some of you may have noticed that I have not posted any pictures in the last couple of days. I did not stop taking them and I did not forget, but there is a reason that this blog is devoid of pictures right now. Anes' story caught the interest of a national media source and they have been in town covering his story. As a part of this interest and the intent to air this story on TV, the family and involved parties had to agree to a few things - one of which was not to post any pictures and not to talk to other media until the story this media source has produced airs. So, you will have to take our word for it that he is doing well and he LOOKS great.

If it all seems crazy that any of us agreed to this, let me assure you that it is all because we believe in the story that will be told...in its ability to teach other's about this condition, this surgery, the power of compassion, and the good that comes from helping another. We hope you will agree that it is all worthwhile in the end. All we can say for now is keep your ears perked for the story at a time in the not too distant future.

And, as always, keep those prayers up! They have made a great impact.

In Peace,
Holly


4 comments:

  1. Holly - this is GREAT news! Thank you so much for keeping us updated! Please send our love to Anes and his family! I am sure the surgery is difficult enough much less being so far away from home, please let them know we are praying for Anes and the family also!

    Love,

    Jane, Samie & Nickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow im glad he is doing great! My daughter wasnt allowed to wake for days following the surgery at Hopkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful news! It is amazing how well Anes is doing. God Bless everyone there and THANK YOU Holly for posting this blog - it helps us feel closer to "ya'll!"
    Love,
    The Hall Zoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thankful for all that is being done for Anes. Holly is our savior, she and whole team that is doing all for Anes's future. I must admit that part of me still don't believe that all this is happening. Sometimes I remind myself: Anes is in United States and he had surgery! And I feel so happy because of that. To say thank you is not enough so I hope I will someday have chance to prove how much me and my whole family is thankful. I love you all. Thank you Holly

    ReplyDelete